The Green Party/Comhaontas Glas adopted at its foundation these seven principles by consensus:
- The impact of society on the environment should not be ecologically disruptive.
- Conservation of resources is vital to a sustainable society.
- All political, social and economic decisions should be taken at the lowest effective level.
- Society should be guided by self-reliance and co-operation at all levels.
- As caretakers of the Earth, we have the responsibility to pass it on in a fit and healthy state.
- The need for world peace overrides national and commercial interests.
- The poverty of two-thirds of the world’s family demands a redistribution of the world’s resources.