Fingal County Council agreed yesterday to my motion to join the All-Ireland Nuclear Free Local Authorities Forum. The terms of reference of the forum are as follows:
Terms of Reference
1. To consider and recommend action which can be taken by local authorities to reduce risks to the public from nuclear power and nuclear weapons.
2. To obtain and provide information and take action to help local authorities and the public develop an informed understanding of the risks from nuclear hazards.
3. To consider and recommend action which could be taken by local authorities to support:
• The safe phase out of nuclear power in the shortest practicable time.
• Methods which minimise risks to humans and the environment for the long term
management of all types of radioactive waste and materials.
• Efforts to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons and related technology.
• Energy conservation and the use of renewable sources of energy.
• Alternative employment and sustainable economic opportunities outside the nuclear
4. To identify, plan, and organise campaigns on topics of concern relating to nuclear
free issues in Ireland.
5. To allow members to obtain and share information on areas of interest.
6. To provide opportunities for co-operation between local authorities in similar geographical areas on nuclear-free issues and NFLA organisational development.
more information here: http://www.nuclearpolicy.info/information/ireland.php